|Photo courtesy of Stuart Miles via freedigitalphotos.net|
If you had the guts to even set some New Year’s resolutions then congratulations are in order. By now 92% of you that set goals have already flunked. Pretty depressing right? I learned long ago to forgo setting any wild vague resolutions as they consistently vanished into thin air by January 30th – or before.
This year, I decided to choose a single word for the year to focus on instead of any resolutions. I wanted a word that is unique, represents who I am, and will guide my course for 2017. My word? Fertilizer. Yes, you read it right. You see, I am a garden geek and I love designing and growing gardens. That passion flows into other areas of my life.
Even if you regularly kill plants you probably know the value of fertilizer. A feeding to your plants will boost growth, strengthen the roots, aid in preventing diseases, condition the soil for long term health, and give you an overabundance of veggies that 5 families can’t consume. In short, fertilizer is like magic in the garden.
I am passionate about digging for the gifts of others and nourishing them so that they can bring out their best and grow to have an impact. I aim to be the fertilizer to those around me this year. This simple word will drive me to:
- Look for the beauty in those that I meet and learn how I can help them to grow their inner beauty to the surface
- Strengthen the roots of others through opportunities, learning, and forming strong relationships
- Discover ways to protect friends from “diseases” such as lack of confidence, low self esteem, or uncertainty
- Uplift others and help them to “weed” out those people from their lives that are unsupportive or mock dreams or aspirations
- Impact one “plant” at a time growing him/her into a colony of incredible people with positive attitudes and purpose to support growth
- Support the health of others so that they are resilient and strong in chasing their uniqueness and bold ideas
If I focus on being a fertilizer this year my hope is that I can feed others so that they will grow and glow. My word will remind me what is important and how I can have an impact. In turn, my own growth and sense of giving to others will be accelerated. It is the year of fertilizer.
What will YOUR word be in 2017?